Calder Dairy was originally established in 1946 by William Graham Stewart Calder. Using his bonus check from the Air Force, Bill Calder bought the dairy’s first delivery truck, a 12-year-old used laundry truck. Milk was purchased from surrounding dairy farms then processed and bottled at the plant at 1020 Southfield Road in Lincoln Park, Michigan.
As the years went by a farm was purchased in Carleton, Michigan. Originally the farm was to be a weekend retreat for the family and eventually a spot to retire to. However, a Brown Swiss Cow was purchased to help keep the grass short, she had a calf, and from there steadily built up a herd of Holstein, Brown Swiss and most recently Jersey Cows. Gradually, the Calder herd continued to grow and today milk 180 cows. All cows are fed a high quality, home grown forage and grain diet with lots of T.L.C. added.